Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Thunder Rolls

Last weekend I saw Thor, the hugely budgeted, widely attended muscle-bulging film about the Norse god of thunder.

I thought the movie was well done. Especially for a superhero flick. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. But some of them don't translate to the screen as well as others.

So, to keep this post short and sweet, here are my highs and lows of the movie.

Lows:
  • I thought Thor's transition from arrogant, egotistical, warrior to humble, slightly less egotistical warrior was a bit on the fast side. Most men require weeks of nagging and pressure before the lesson comes in. Then again, Thor is a god, so perhaps his learning curve is smaller. And I'm pretty sure that's the only thing on him that's smaller...ahem. Anyway.
  • Two things bother me a lot in writing (or scripting) when it isn't done exceptionally well. 1- The character knows something we the audience don't, and 2- We the audience know something the character should. If you follow Norse mythology at all, or know the standard dark hair, piercing stare requirement of villains, then you can pick up who the bad guy is right away. Why can't Thor??
Highs:

  • The acting was fairly exceptional. Anthony Hopkins, in something that could have been a throw away part, really stood out. Chris Hemsworth did a great job as Thor. I didn't love Natalie Portman particularly, but she didn't screw it up, so that's a bonus.
  • The special effects and battle scenes were amazing. Especially the whole frost giant showdown.
  • Chris Hemsworth's bare chest. Need I say more? Not with photographic evidence...












You're welcome!


4 comments:

Diva Donna said...

Thanks for that photographic evidence. I just bookmarked this post for posterity...or a late night snack one or the other.

I enjoyed the movie for many of the same reasons you liked it mainly the precious 30 seconds of pectorals.

Oh yeah and the prodigal son theme too.

Diva Donna said...

Just dropped by for another visit. Hmm. Love this post.

Anonymous said...

You. Have. A. Blog.

Where the heck was I?!? *slaps head* I owe you carmel. Or something equally delicious. Seriously.

BTW, your post totally made me giggle in various places. The small learning curve...LOL! You are a wit, Deb. =]

I haven't seen this movie yet but I freaking adore Anthony Hopkins and I'm looking forward to seeing this particular myth play out.

Unknown said...

So yeah, I had my hair long once...

:-)