Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Survivor Debbie


I really like survivor shows. Not the actual Survivor. Shows like Man Vs. Wild and Out Of The Wild...apparently I also like shows with Wild in the title, but that's probably a post for another day.

These shows make the average person (me) feel like they could survive in any situation. I could be dropped in the wilderness with nothing but a pocket knife, fashion a shelter using nature's materials, forage for food using a handmade spear, and live comfortably for sixteen years.

Why not? They do it that way on TV.

That's what I want my reading experience to be like. I want a world so real that I feel like a giant might show up on my doorstep, ready to recruit me to wizarding school, or like I could win a battle to the death to earn food for my district.

Some books are like this to me. So real, I feel like I could do it. So, the next time you're thinking about a survival trip or feeling like going to biology class to meet a vampire who craves your blood, give me a call. I can probably give you some advice.

2 comments:

DJ Rose said...

Love the pic of Baer. (However you spell it) Excellent Point by the way.

Unknown said...

I agree with having a world that real to explore. Larry Niven has a talent for describing worlds like that. At the same time, it seems to be how real and honest my connection with the person in the story is that makes all of those descriptions work.

I like worlds so well planned, described, and layer out that truly almost anything can happen because the author doesn't have to stop and convince you of some new facet of their world just as they're about to plunge your head in and give you a twirly.

And I like people so real you could fall for them if they didn't smell like a paper back. =)